- Project Coordinator: 4.3 "Nanoscaled Optics and Samples",
- Member of Project: 3.3 "Transient Structures and lmaging with X-rays"
The Laboratory for Nanoscale Samples and Optics supports several experiments in different scientific projects of the MBI. We develop and produce thin-film sample systems on various substrates with the focus on magnetic multilayers, alloys and metal foils using magnetron sputtering and thermal evaporation. The close integration of deposition, structuring and characterization of these systems with experiments promotes fast feedback on sample performance and rapid development cycles. We collaborate closely with several MBI projects as well as with external cooperation partners to provide custom sample-related services.
To enable new experimental techniques as for example Spin Hall Effect measurements and skyrmion nucleation via high current density, a UV-lithography system is used to create masks, which enables necessary structuring and lift-off processes. Topographic and magnetic characterization is carried out via atomic and magnetic force microscopy (AFM/MFM), electron microscopy (SEM, EDX), X-ray reflectivity and diffraction, Kerr-magnetometry and Kerr-microscopy.
In close cooperation with the central facility for electron microscopy (ZELMI) at the TU Berlin the 3D patterning on a few-micrometer and nanometer scale via electron beam lithography (EBL) and focused ion beam milling (FIB) is carried out.
- All-optical switching on the nanometer scale excited and probed with femtosecond extreme ultraviolet pulses Nano Letters 22 (2022) 4453-4458
- Deterministic generation and guided Motion of magnetic skyrmions by focused He+-ion Irradiation Nano Letters 22 (2022) 4028-4035
- Intrinsic energy flow in laser-excited 3d ferromagnets Physical Review Research 4 (2022) 013104 /1-13
- Accelerating double pulse all-optical write/erase cycles in metallic ferrimagnets Applied Physics Letters 120 (2022) 112406/1-7
- Ultrafast element- and depth-resolved magnetization dynamics probed by transverse magneto-optical Kerr effect spectroscopy in the soft x-ray range Physical Review Research 4 (2022) L022062/1-7
- Observation of fluctuation-mediated picosecond nucleation of a topological phase Nature Materials 20 (2021) 30–37
- Wide-field magneto-optical microscope to access quantitative magnetization dynamics with femtosecond temporal and sub-micrometer spatial resolution Journal of Applied Physics 130 (2021) 083905/1-9
- The patterning toolbox FIB-o-mat: Exploiting the full potential of focused helium ions for nanofabrication Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 12 (2021) 304-318
- Application concepts for ultrafast laser-induced skyrmion creation and annihilation Applied Physics Letters 118 (2021) 192403/1-7
- High-speed spatial encoding of modulated pump-probe signals with slow area detectors Measurement Science and Technology 32 (2021) 025901/1-7