- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Terahertz driven amplification of coherent optical phonons in GaAs coupled to metallic dog-bone resonators Ultrafast Phenomena XXI 205 EPJ Web of Conferences (2019) 05007/1-3
- Millijoule few-cycle 5 μm source at 1 kHz repetition rate for generating broadband pulses from the mid- to far-infrared Ultrafast Phenomena XXI 205 EPJ Web of Conferences (2019) 01014/1-3
- Phonon driven charge dynamics in polycrystalline acetylsalicylic acid mapped by ultrafast x-ray diffraction Structural Dynamics 6 (2019) 014503/1-7
- Time-resolved photoluminescence from n-doped GaN/Al0.18Ga0.82N short-period superlattices probes carrier kinetics and long-term structural stability Journal of Applied Physics 125 (2019) 185705/1-7
- Soft-mode driven dynamics in ferroelectrics - new insight from ultrafast terahertz and x-ray experiments Ultrafast Phenomena XXI 205 EPJ Web of Conferences (2019) 04001/1-3
- Concepts and applications of nonlinear terahertz spectroscopy Morgan & Claypool Publishers, San Rafael (2019)
- Terahertz driven amplification of coherent optical phonons in GaAs coupled to a metasurface Physical Review Letters 122 (2019) 107402/1-6
- Recent advances in ultrafast X-ray sources Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 377 (2019) 20180384/1-37
- Impact of piezoelectric fields on coherent zone-folded phonons in GaAs/AlAs superlattices Physical Review B (R) 100 (2019) 121302(R)/1-6
- Resonant second-order nonlinear terahertz response of gallium arsenide Physical Review Letters 121 (2018) 266602/1-6