- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Terahertz polaron oscillations of electrons solvated in liquid water Physical Review Letters 126 (2021) 097401/1-5
- Compact high-flux hard X-ray source driven by femtosecond mid-infrared pulses at a 1 kHz repetition rate Optics Letters 46 (2021) 210-213
- Two-dimensional terahertz spectroscopy of condensed-phase molecular systems Journal of Chemical Physics 154 (2021) 120901/1-14
- Frequency upshift of the transverse optical phonon resonance in GaAs by femtosecond electron-hole excitation Physical Review Letters 125 (2020) 027401/1-5
- Spatial distribution of electric-field enhancement across the gap of terahertz bow-tie antennas Optics Express 28 (2020) 24389-24398
- Field-induced tunneling ionization and terahertz-driven electron dynamics in liquid water Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 11 (2020) 7717–7722
- Nonlinear terahertz response of solvated electrons in liquid water The 22nd International Conference on Ultrafast Phenomena 2020 OSA Publishing (2020) doi.org/10.1364/UP.2020.Th4A.4
- Blueshift of the TO phonon resonance in GaAs by femtosecond electron-hole excitation The 22nd International Conference on Ultrafast Phenomena 2020 OSA Publishing, (2020) doi.org/10.1364/UP.2020.Tu3B.3
- Terahertz driven amplification of coherent optical phonons in GaAs coupled to metallic dog-bone resonators Ultrafast Phenomena XXI 205 EPJ Web of Conferences (2019) 05007/1-3
- Millijoule few-cycle 5 μm source at 1 kHz repetition rate for generating broadband pulses from the mid- to far-infrared Ultrafast Phenomena XXI 205 EPJ Web of Conferences (2019) 01014/1-3