Project Member 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
My research work focuses on femtosecond laser-induced ultrafast spin, lattice and charge processes in condensed matter in order to drive ultrafast magnetic phase transitions and spin switching phenomena. In particular, we seek to understand and eventually control the magnetic order at the nanoscale with femtosecond time resolution. To achieve these goals we follow a two-fold experimental approach:
(1) We employ resonant and selective photo-excitations in magnetically ordered materials at photon energies ranging from THz (meV) to soft X-ray (keV) spectral range in order to drive ultimately fast magnetic phenomena (see Figure).
(2) Using element-, quasiparticle- an mode-specific probing techniques we are able to directly measure and disentangle the subsequent dynamics of each constituent sub-system, i.e. electrons, lattice, spins, on their characteristic time- and length-scales.
since 2016 Senior Scientist, Max-Born Institute Berlin
2015-2015 Senior Scientist, Technical University Berlin and Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin – BESSY II
2012-2015 Group Leader ‘Ultrafast Magnetism on Elemental Time and Length Scales’, Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin – BESSY II
2008-2012 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Prof. Dr. Theo Rasing, Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands
2006-2008 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Prof. Dr. Christian Back, Regensburg University, Germany
2006Ph.D. in the group of Prof. Dr. Martin Wolf at the Free University Berlin, Germany
2001 M.Sc., Physics, West University of Timisoara, Romania and Free University Berlin, Germany
1999 B.Sc., Physics, West University of Timisoara, Romania
- Sub-15-fs X-ray pump and X-ray probe experiment for the study of ultrafast magnetization dynamics in ferromagnetic alloys Optics Express 29 (2021) 32388-32403
- Element‐specific magnetization damping in ferrimagnetic DyCo5 Alloys revealed by ultrafast X‐ray measurements Physica Status Solidi-Rapid Research Letters online (2021) 1-15
- The 2021 Ultrafast Spectroscopic Probes of Condensed Matter Roadmap Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter online (2021) 1-15
- Distinct spectral response in M-edge magnetic circular dichroism Physical Review B 102 (2020) 100405(R)/1-6
- Element-Specific Magnetization Dynamics of Complex Magnetic Systems Probed by Ultrafast Magneto-Optical Spectroscopy Applied Sciences 10 (2020) 7580/1-15
- Angular momentum flow during ultrafast demagnetization of a ferrimagnet Physical Review Letters 122 (2019) 157202/1-5
- Dissecting spin-phonon equilibration in ferrimagnetic insulators by ultrafast lattice excitation Science Advances 4 (2018) 5164/1-7
- Selective THz control of magnetic order: new opportunities from superradiant undulator sources Journal of Physics D-Applied Physics 51 (2018) 114007/1-8
- Generating circularly polarized radiation in the extreme ultraviolet spectral range at the free-electron laser FLASH Review of Scientific Instruments 88 (2017) 053903 /1-9
- Laser-Induced Ultrafast Magnetic Phenomena Handbook of Magnetic Materials Elsevier B.V (2017) 291-463