Junior research group leader "Ultrafast dynamics in nanoplasma"
My research is focused on advancing a fundamental understanding of non-equilibrium dynamics in highly excited matter on the nanoscale. The excitation of nanoparticles, such as clusters and nanodroplets in strong laser fields, provides a well-defined scenario to explore and possibly control the correlated dynamics of excitation and plasma formation. The light-induced dynamics are probed via (time-resolved) coherent diffractive imaging, using intense short-wavelength pulses from free-electron lasers (FELs) and high-harmonic generation (HHG) sources, and the concurrent spectroscopic measurement of ions and electrons. In this context I develop and advance innovative detection schemes, beam focusing, manipulation and characterization tools as well as sample delivery systems.
- Coherent diffractive imaging in the XUV regime: 3D geometry of single nanoparticles
- Coincident diffractive imaging and ion spectroscopy of individual gas-phase clusters
- Towards diffractive imaging of electron dynamics with (attosecond) HHG pulses
- X-ray Movie Camera at FLASH: Filming light induced dynamics in single clusters
- Resonant diffractive imaging of excitation and nanoplasma dynamics at FELs
- Three-dimensional shapes of spinning helium nanodroplets Physical Review Letters 121 (2018) 255301/1-6
- CAMP@FLASH: an end‐station for imaging, electron‐ and ion‐spectroscopy, and pump–probe experiments at the FLASH free‐electron laser Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 25 (2018) 1529-1540
- XUV double-pulses with femtosecond to 650 ps separation from a multilayer-mirror-based split-and-delay unit at FLASH Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 25 (2018) 1-12
- Atomare Cluster im Fokus - Intensive Röntgenpulse enthüllen die Struktur und ultraschnelle Entwicklung einzelner Nanoteilchen Physik Journal 11 (2017) 33-39
- Coherent diffractive imaging of single helium nanodroplets with a high harmonic generation source Nature Communications 8 (2017) 493/1-6
- Femtosecond and nanometre visualization of structural dynamics in superheated nanoparticles Nature Photonics 10 (2016) 93-97
- Size-dependent ultrafast ionization of nanoscale samples in intense femtosecond X-ray free-electron-laser pulses Physical Review Letters 108 (2012) 233401/1-5