- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Chemical reaction dynamics II and correlated systems, surfaces and catalysis: general discussion Faraday Discussions 171 (2014) 323–356
- Terahertz radiative coupling and damping in multilayer graphene New Journal of Physics 16 (2014) 013027/1-15
- Ultrafast terahertz response of multi-layer graphene in the nonperturbative regime Physical Review B 89 (2014) 041408(R)/1-5
- Instrumentation and methods: general discussion Faraday Discussions 171 (2014) 505-523
- High-field terahertz bulk photovoltaic effect in lithium niobate Physical Review Letters 112 (2014) 146602/1-5
- Femtosecond x-ray diffraction maps field-driven charge dynamics in ionic crystals Faraday Discussions 171 (2014) 373-392
- High-brightness table-top hard X-ray source driven by sub-100-femtosecond mid-infrared pulses Nature Photonics 8 (2014) 927-930
- Chemical reaction dynamics I and electron dynamics in molecules: general discussion Faraday Discussions 171 (2014) 145-168
- Ultrafast vibrational dynamics of (BH4)- ions in liquid and crystalline environments Journal of Chemical Physics 141 (2014) 034506/1-9
- Transition from ballistic to drift motion in high-field transport in GaAs Ultrafast Phenomena XVIII EDP Sciences (2013) 04002/1-3