- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Phonon-induced relocation of valence charge in boron nitride observed by ultrafast x-ray diffraction Physical Review Letters 128 (2022) 136402/1-6
- Underdamped longitudinal soft modes in ionic crystallites - lattice and charge motions observed by ultrafast x-ray diffraction Structural Dynamics 9 (2022) 024501/1-10
- Field-induced electron generation in water: solvation dynamics and many-body interactions Journal of Physical Chemistry B 126 (2022) 2621-2634
- Coherent polaron dynamics of electrons solvated in polar liquids PNAS Nexus 1 (2022) pgac078/1-8
- Terahertz polaron oscillations of electrons solvated in liquid water Physical Review Letters 126 (2021) 097401/1-5
- Compact high-flux hard X-ray source driven by femtosecond mid-infrared pulses at a 1 kHz repetition rate Optics Letters 46 (2021) 210-213
- Two-color two-dimensional terahertz spectroscopy: A new approach for exploring even-order nonlinearities in the nonperturbative regime Journal of Chemical Physics 154 (2021) 154203/1-9
- Two-dimensional terahertz spectroscopy of condensed-phase molecular systems Journal of Chemical Physics 154 (2021) 120901/1-14
- Ultrafast nonlinear phonon response of few-layer hexagonal boron nitride Physical Review B 104 (2021) L140302/1-6
- Mono-cycle terahertz pulses from intersubband shift currents in asymmetric semiconductor quantum wells Optica 8 (2021) 1638-1641