- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Multidimensional terahertz spectroscopy Encyclopedia of Modern Optics, 2nd ed., vol. 2 Elsevier (2018) 197-206
- Ultrafast carrier dynamics in a GaN/Al0.18 Ga0.82 N superlattice Physical Review B 97 (2018) 161303/1-5
- Macroscopic electric polarization and microscopic electron dynamics: Quantitative insight from femtosecond x-ray diffraction Physical Review B 98 (2018) 054306/1-12
- Soft-mode driven polarity reversal in ferroelectrics mapped by ultrafast x-ray diffraction Structural Dynamics 5 (2018) 024501/1-11
- Mid-infrared beam splitter for ultrashort pulses Optics Letters 52 (2017) 2918-2921
- Towards shot-noise limited diffraction experiments with table-top femtosecond hard x-ray sources Structural Dynamics 4 (2017) 054304/1-11
- Water librations in the hydration shell of phospholipids Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 8 (2017) 4492-4497
- Strong local-field enhancement of the nonlinear soft-mode response in a molecular crystal Physical Review Letters 119 (2017) 097404/1-6
- Nonlinear terahertz spectroscopy on multilayer graphene Optical Properties of Graphene World Scientific (2017) 269-294
- Atomschwingungen in Superzeitlupe Physik in unserer Zeit 48 (2017) 113-114