- Project Member 4.1 "Implementation of Lasers and Measuring Techniques"
The development of thin-disk laser technology was a very important topic for MBI during the last several years. These developments are now used on a daily basis for different applications, e.g. as driver laser for a laser-plasma based soft X-ray source.
OPCPA systems with their broadband amplification spectrum and the resulting very short pulse duration are of increasing importance to study ultra-fast dynamics. We have integrated two of our Yb:YAG regenerative thin-disk lasers as pump lasers in an OPCPA laser system to generate sub-10 fs pulses with 30 mJ pulse energy.
This OPCPA system has been set up, recently, and is used for experiments since December 2018. In three successive OPCPA stages the pulse energy of a broadband seed pulse is amplified to more than 30 mJ. Challenging in the setup of OPCPA systems is the temporal overlap of seed and pump pulses. The timing has to be monitored to compensated for thermal drifts and timing jitter due to e.g. vibrations or air turbulences. The compression with low energy loss of the broadband amplified pulse is also of major importance. We use a combination of glass compressor and chirped mirrors to reach a pulse duration well below 10 fs.
This system is still under further development in close contact to the users and depending on the needs of their experiments.
- OPCPA system emitting pulses with energy ~30mJ, duration < 10 fs at 100 Hz repetition rate.
- Demonstration of more than 1 J pulse energy at 100 Hz repetition rate using a room-temperature ring amplifier based on thin-disk technology.
- Regenerative amplifier emitting more than 300 mJ pulse energy at 100 Hz repetition rate.
- Generation of Ni-like Ag X-Ray Laser and High-Order Harmonics for Harmonic Seeded X-Ray Laser Proceedings of the 10th International Conference 2006 115 Springer Proceedings in Physics (2007) 183-189
- On the Way Towards a High Repetition Rate X-Ray Laser Proceedings of the 10th International Conference 2006 115 Springer Proceedings in Physics (2007) 161-171
- 10 Hz grazing incidence pumped Ni-like Mo x-ray laser Physical Review E 72 (2005) 037401/1-4
- Elements of capillary optics applied in the spectral range between 10 and 15 nm Soft X-Ray Lasers and Applications VI 5919 (2005) 104-111
- Pulse shape measurement by a non-collinear third-order correlation technique Optics Communications 259 (2005) 848-851
- X-ray lasers pumped by low-energy laser drivers SPIE Proceedings Series 5958 (2005) 261-269
- Enhancement of a 24.77 nm line emitted by plasma of boron-nitride capillary discharge irradiated by high-intensity ultrashort laser pulse Optics Letters 30 (2005) 1572-1574
- Low-energy-single-laser-pulse driven soft X-ray lasers 9th International Conference on X-Ray Lasers 186 (2005) 81-85
- X-ray lasers driven by low-energy picosecond laser pulses Soft X-Ray Lasers and Applications VI 5919 (2005) 43-52
- Strong line enhancement at 24.7 nm in a boron-nitride capillary discharge irradiated by a femtosecond laser pulse 9th International Conference on X-Ray Lasers 186 (2005) 81-85