Project Coordinator 2.2 "Strong-field Few-body Systems"
We are investigating the dynamics of strong field interaction with atoms, molecules and ordered, loosely bound atomic or molecular structures, where the constituents still show their individual characteristics. These loosely bound structures are usually found in the form of small van der Waals clusters, however, also molecules assume this characteristic during dissociation at large internuclear separation. Characteristic of these systems are closely spaced electronic states at a large internuclear separation where the electrons start to localize at the individual constituents.
Besides strong field phenomena we are interested in electron dynamics in the bound part of the atomic spectrum and in the ionization continuum of atoms either in energy ranges structured by Fano resonances or in the unstructured continuum.
The main instruments employed in these investigations are
- laser systems delivering high intensity pulses with pulse widths in the femtosecond range
- a source for generation of high order harmonics of this laser radiation
- a reaction microscope (see the Fig.) capable to determine the momentum of any charged particle emerging from the interaction of the laser pulses with the respective target in a correlated way
10/1975 – 7/1982 Study of Physics, Univ. Bielefeld
Diploma thesis: "Stepwise photoionization of molecules and of atomic hydrogen with mass selective ion detection"
8/1982 – 10/1986 Research assistant, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
PhD thesis: "Laser spectroscopy on highly excited Rydberg states of atomic and molecular hydrogen"
11/1986 – 2/1993 Research fellow, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
7/1991 Habilitation, Univ. Bielefeld
3/1993 – 6/1993 Scientist at the Max-Born-Institute
Since 7/1993 Department head at the Max-Born-Institute
- Dissociation of H2+ and D2+ in an intense laser field Physical Review A 56 (1997) 2168-2181
- Atomic and molecular two-electron systems in external laser fields Laser Physics 7 (1997) 223-229
- Single atom and plasma processes at intensities up to 1018 W/cm2 Super-Intense Laser-Atom Physics IV Kluwer Academic Publishers (1996) 193-200
- H2 and D2 in intense sub-picosecond laser pulses: Photoelectron spectroscopy at 1053 and 527 nm Physical Review A 54 (1995) 2224
- Short pulse MPI of Xenon: The 2P1/2 ionization channel Journal of Physics B-Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 29 (1995) 1479
- Atomic hydrogen in a strong optical radiation field Physical Review A 49 (1994) 4837-4851
- Atomic hydrogen in intense short laser pulses: A new series of photoelectron peaks from above threshold ionization Journal of Physics B-Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 26 (1993) L15-L23