Project Coordinator 2.2 "Strong-field Few-body Systems"
We are investigating the dynamics of strong field interaction with atoms, molecules and ordered, loosely bound atomic or molecular structures, where the constituents still show their individual characteristics. These loosely bound structures are usually found in the form of small van der Waals clusters, however, also molecules assume this characteristic during dissociation at large internuclear separation. Characteristic of these systems are closely spaced electronic states at a large internuclear separation where the electrons start to localize at the individual constituents.
Besides strong field phenomena we are interested in electron dynamics in the bound part of the atomic spectrum and in the ionization continuum of atoms either in energy ranges structured by Fano resonances or in the unstructured continuum.
The main instruments employed in these investigations are
- laser systems delivering high intensity pulses with pulse widths in the femtosecond range
- a source for generation of high order harmonics of this laser radiation
- a reaction microscope (see the Fig.) capable to determine the momentum of any charged particle emerging from the interaction of the laser pulses with the respective target in a correlated way
10/1975 – 7/1982 Study of Physics, Univ. Bielefeld
Diploma thesis: "Stepwise photoionization of molecules and of atomic hydrogen with mass selective ion detection"
8/1982 – 10/1986 Research assistant, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
PhD thesis: "Laser spectroscopy on highly excited Rydberg states of atomic and molecular hydrogen"
11/1986 – 2/1993 Research fellow, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
7/1991 Habilitation, Univ. Bielefeld
3/1993 – 6/1993 Scientist at the Max-Born-Institute
Since 7/1993 Department head at the Max-Born-Institute
- Non-Sequential double ionization of Ne in intense laser pulses: a coincidence experiment Optics Express 8 (2001) 358-367
- Sequential ionisation of C60 with femtosecond laser pulses The Journal of Chemical Physics 114 (2001) 1716-1719
- Wenn intensives Licht Atome in Stücke reißt - Elektronenkorrelation in starken Feldern Physikalische Blätter 57 (2001) 49-52
- Separation of recollision mechanisms in nonsequential strong field double ionisation of Ar: the role of excitation-tunneling Physical Review Letters 87 (2001) 043003/1-4
- Experiments of multiphoton dissociation and ionization of molecules Atoms, Solids, and Plasmas in Super-Intense Laser Fields, Proceedings of the 30th Course of the International School of Quantum Electronics Kluwer Academic Publishers (2001) 37-58
- Ionization and fragmentation of C60 with sub-50fs laser pulses The Journal of Chemical Physics 112 (2000) 2781-2789
- Momentum distributions of Nen+ ions created by an intense ultrashort laser pulse Physical Review Letters 84 (2000) 447-450
- Routes to nonsequential multiple ionization Physical Review Letters 85 (2000) 3781-4
- Strong-Field Non-sequential Ionization: The Vector Momentum Distribution of Multiply Charged Ne Ions AIP Conference Proceedings 525 American Institute of Physics (2000) 285-294
- Pulse-width and isotope effects in femtosecond-strong-field dissociation of H2+ and D2+ Physical Review A 62 (2000) 063402/1-9