Project Coordinator 2.2 "Strong-field Few-body Systems"
We are investigating the dynamics of strong field interaction with atoms, molecules and ordered, loosely bound atomic or molecular structures, where the constituents still show their individual characteristics. These loosely bound structures are usually found in the form of small van der Waals clusters, however, also molecules assume this characteristic during dissociation at large internuclear separation. Characteristic of these systems are closely spaced electronic states at a large internuclear separation where the electrons start to localize at the individual constituents.
Besides strong field phenomena we are interested in electron dynamics in the bound part of the atomic spectrum and in the ionization continuum of atoms either in energy ranges structured by Fano resonances or in the unstructured continuum.
The main instruments employed in these investigations are
- laser systems delivering high intensity pulses with pulse widths in the femtosecond range
- a source for generation of high order harmonics of this laser radiation
- a reaction microscope (see the Fig.) capable to determine the momentum of any charged particle emerging from the interaction of the laser pulses with the respective target in a correlated way
10/1975 – 7/1982 Study of Physics, Univ. Bielefeld
Diploma thesis: "Stepwise photoionization of molecules and of atomic hydrogen with mass selective ion detection"
8/1982 – 10/1986 Research assistant, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
PhD thesis: "Laser spectroscopy on highly excited Rydberg states of atomic and molecular hydrogen"
11/1986 – 2/1993 Research fellow, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
7/1991 Habilitation, Univ. Bielefeld
3/1993 – 6/1993 Scientist at the Max-Born-Institute
Since 7/1993 Department head at the Max-Born-Institute
- Routes to nonsequential multiple ionization Physical Review Letters 85 (2000) 3781-4
- Momentum distributions of Nen+ ions created by an intense ultrashort laser pulse Physical Review Letters 84 (2000) 447-450
- Pulse-width and isotope effects in femtosecond-strong-field dissociation of H2+ and D2+ Physical Review A 62 (2000) 063402/1-9
- Experimental setup for high energy resolution studies of strong field molecular photodissociation and Coulomb explosion Laser Physics 9 (1999) 171-174
- Enhanced efficiency in high-order harmonic generation using sub 50 fs laser pulses Laser Physics 9 (1999) 430-432
- Multiphoton ionization of dissociating D2+ molecules Physical Review A 59 (1999) 2858-2863
- Strong field photoionization of vibrational ground state H2+ and D2+ molecules Physical Review A 60 (1999) 3924-3928
- The molecular hydrogen B-state in an intense light field Proceedings of the OSA Conference on "Applications of High Field and Short Wavelength Sources VII", Plenum Publishing Corp. (1998) 223-228
- Multiphoton ionization and dissoziation of H2O Journal of Physics B-Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 31 (1998) 1083-1096
- High resolution investigations of H2+ exploding in a high intensity ultrashort laser pulse Ultrafast Phenomena XI Springer Verlag (1998) 450-452