Project Coordinator 2.2 "Strong-field Few-body Systems"
We are investigating the dynamics of strong field interaction with atoms, molecules and ordered, loosely bound atomic or molecular structures, where the constituents still show their individual characteristics. These loosely bound structures are usually found in the form of small van der Waals clusters, however, also molecules assume this characteristic during dissociation at large internuclear separation. Characteristic of these systems are closely spaced electronic states at a large internuclear separation where the electrons start to localize at the individual constituents.
Besides strong field phenomena we are interested in electron dynamics in the bound part of the atomic spectrum and in the ionization continuum of atoms either in energy ranges structured by Fano resonances or in the unstructured continuum.
The main instruments employed in these investigations are
- laser systems delivering high intensity pulses with pulse widths in the femtosecond range
- a source for generation of high order harmonics of this laser radiation
- a reaction microscope (see the Fig.) capable to determine the momentum of any charged particle emerging from the interaction of the laser pulses with the respective target in a correlated way
10/1975 – 7/1982 Study of Physics, Univ. Bielefeld
Diploma thesis: "Stepwise photoionization of molecules and of atomic hydrogen with mass selective ion detection"
8/1982 – 10/1986 Research assistant, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
PhD thesis: "Laser spectroscopy on highly excited Rydberg states of atomic and molecular hydrogen"
11/1986 – 2/1993 Research fellow, Phys. Dep., Univ. Bielefeld, Prof. Dr. K. H. Welge
7/1991 Habilitation, Univ. Bielefeld
3/1993 – 6/1993 Scientist at the Max-Born-Institute
Since 7/1993 Department head at the Max-Born-Institute
- Photoionization in combined ultra short XUV and infrared laser pulses Journal of Physics Conference Series 141 (2009) 12015-12015
- Strong laser field fragmentation of H2: Coulomb explosion without double ionization Physical Review Letters 102 (2009) 113002/1-4
- Attosecond coincidence spectroscopy of diatomic molecules Ultrafast Phenomena XVI Proceedings of the 16th International Conference, Springer Series in Chemical Physics 92 (2009) 78
- Acceleration of neutral atoms in strong short-pulse laser fields Nature 461 (2009) 1261-1264
- Interference in strong-field ionization of a two-centre atomic system New Journal of Physics 10 (2008) 093027/1-16
- Evolution of angular distributions in two-colour, few-photon ionization of helium Journal of Physics B-Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 41 (2008) 051002/1-6
- Interferometric long-term stabilization of a delay line: a tool for pump-probe photoelectron-photoion-coincidence spectroscopy on the attosecond time scale Applied Physics B 91 (2008) 287-293
- Complete momentum analysis of multi-photon photo-double ionization of xenon by XUV and infrared photons Journal of Physics B-Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 41 (2008) 065601/1-11
- Many-electron strong-field physics Contemporary Physics 49 (2008) 199-223
- Routes to double ionization in combined extreme ultraviolet and infrared pulses Physical Review A 75 (2007) 033408/1-4