- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Shift-current-induced strain waves in LiNbO3 mapped by femtosecond x-ray diffraction Physical Review B 94 (2016) 104302/1-7
- Theoretical analysis of hard x-ray generation by nonperturbative interaction of ultrashort light pulses with a metal Structural Dynamics 2 (2015) 024102/1-19
- Sub-100 fs mid-infrared pulses as driver for a table-top hard x-ray source Ultrafast Phenomena XIX Springer (2015) 770-773
- Ultrafast nonlinear response of bulk plasmons in highly doped ZnO layers Physical Review Letters 115 (2015) 147401/1-5
- Ultrafast THz photo-galvanic carrier transport. Extreme field induced regime Romanian Journal of Physics 67 (2015) 1597-1601
- Ultrafast terahertz response of lithium niobate in the nonperturbative regime Ultrafast Phenomena XIX Springer (2015) 620-622
- Ultra-broadband terahertz pulses generated in the organic crystal DSTMS Optics Letters 40 (2015) 3404-3407
- Field-induced dynamics of correlated electrons in LiH and NaBH4 Ultrafast Phenomena XIX Springer (2015) 241-243
- Noninstantaneous polarization dynamics in dielectric media Optica 2 (2015) 151-157
- Nonresonant coherent control: Intersubband excitations manipulated by a nonresonant terahertz pulse Physical Review B 92 (2015) 085306/1-8