- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Mid-infrared beam splitter for ultrashort pulses Optics Letters 52 (2017) 2918-2921
- Atomschwingungen in Superzeitlupe Physik in unserer Zeit 48 (2017) 113-114
- Multidimensional Terahertz Spectroscopy Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering 2017 Online Elsevier (2017)
- Ultrafast modulation of electronic structure by coherent phonon excitations Physical Review B (R) 95 (2017) 081101/1-5
- Two-phonon quantum coherences in InSb studied by two-dimensional terahertz spectroscopy Ultrafast Phenomena XX Optical Society of America (2016) UTu2B.7/1-3
- Phase-resolved two-dimensional terahertz spectroscopy including off-resonant interactions beyond the χ(3) limit Journal of Chemical Physics 144 (2016) 184202/1-10
- Two-phonon quantum coherences in indium antimonide studied by nonlinear two-dimensional terahertz spectroscopy Physical Review Letters 116 (2016) 177401/1-6
- Coherent acoustic phonon amplification in a strongly coupled semiconductor superlattice under intraminiband transport Ultrafast Phenomena XX Optical Society of America (2016) UW4A.1/1-3
- Strong amplification of coherent acoustic phonons by intraminiband currents in a semiconductor superlattice Physical Review Letters 116 (2016) 075504/1-5
- Shift-current-induced strain waves in LiNbO3 mapped by femtosecond x-ray diffraction Physical Review B 94 (2016) 104302/1-7