- Head of Department C3 "Femtosecond Spectroscopy on Solids"
- Coordinator of Project 3.2 "Solids and Nanostructures: Electrons, Spins, and Phonons"
- Coordinator of Project 3.3 "Transient Structures and Imaging with X-rays"
I am interested in ultrafast and nonlinear phenomena in condensed matter, in particular organic and inorganic solids and nanostructures. To this end, I generate and apply ultrashort pulses in a wide spectral range (THz to hard x-ray) to measure the nonequilibrium dynamics of elementary excitations in solids and the ultrafast structural dynamics of crystalline material. Most recent activities are two-dimensional spectroscopy in the THz frequency range (Figure: two phonon coherences in InSb) and femtosecond x-ray absorption experiments using table top high harmonic sources.
1981-1988 Study of physics at the Technical University (TU) of Munich
1988-1991 PhD Work at TU Munich, Physics Department E11 (Prof. W. Kaiser)
1991 Graduation (Dr. rer. nat.) at the TU
1991-1993 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Physics Department E11, TU Munich
1993-1996 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1997 Postdoctoral Researcher at Bell Laboratories (Lucent), Holmdel, NJ, USA
since 1997 Department head of C3 at the Max-Born-Institute, Berlin
1999 Habilitation at the Humboldt University Berlin
Wiggling atoms switch the electric polarization of crystals
Quantum Swing - a pendulum that moves forward and backwards at the same time
Hot means slow: Electron plasma oscillations tuned down with light
The longer the better: Optical long-wavelength pulses generate brilliant ultrashort hard x-ray flashes
- Solid-state laser system for the generation of midinfrared femtosecond pulses tunable from 3.3 to 10 µm Opt. Lett. 19 (1994) 2009-2011
- Relaxation processes of hot holes in Ge and GaAs investigated by ultrafast infrared spectroscopy Semicond. Sci. & Technol. 9 (1994) 689-693
- Capture of hot holes by shallow acceptors in p-type GaAs studied by picosecond infrared spectroscopy Phys. Rev. B 47 (1993) 12498-12509
- Generation of synchronized femtosecond pulses independently tunable in the mid-infrared Opt. Commun. 102 (1993) 447-451
- Hot hole capture by shallow acceptors in p-type GaAs studied by picosecond infrared spectroscopy Ultrafast Phenomena VIII Springer Berlin (1993) 416-417