- Department Head B3 (acting) "Laser Development"
- Project Coordinator 4.2 "Application Laboratories and Technology Transfer"
During the last 15 years my research was concentrated on high field physics and laser driven matter acceleration. Focus was put on laser driven ion beam generation, source characterization, energy transformation processes in context with acceleration mechanisms. As a specific method proton imaging was developed further to study relativistic plasma dynamics. Furthermore project work was realized in laser driven electron acceleration, in operation and parameter improvement of high intensity laser systems.
In my physics diploma and PhD-work I studied deep temperature effects of electronic carrier mobility in metal oxide-oxide semiconductor structures. I got the chance to change to laser-plasma physics and started with ns-laser driven plasmas and its dynamics. These research activities comprised especially incoherent soft X-ray emission characteristics, related plasma diagnostic and colliding plasma interaction. With the advent of chirped-pulse amplification lasers my activities moved to interaction experiments with ps-, fs- and few cycle laser pulses. Special attention was paid to incoherent hard X-ray emission from laser plasmas in connection with energy transport, coherent XUV-emission from high density (X-ray laser) and gaseous density (high harmonic emission) plasmas, as well as to incoherent EUV-emission in connection with the dynamics of fs- laser exploded clusters and fusion neutron diagnostics in spray and spherical micro-droplet experiments. During the last years effects of collective electron dynamics in relativistic laser fields allowed to study several new findings in ion, electron and high harmonic emission.
In the face of completing relativistic plasma and ultra-high intensity laser physics projects at MBI I am looking forward to new tasks.
since 2007: Department head (acting), MBI, Berlin
2001: Habilitation, Technical University (TU) Wien
since 2000: Scientific researcher, MBI, Berlin
1997-2000: Scientific employee associate at the Photonics Institute, TU Wien
1991-1997: Scientific employee associate, Max-Born-Institute (MBI), Berlin
1984-1991:} Scientific employee associate,Central Institute of Optics and Spectroscopy (ZOS), Berlin
1984: PhD in Physics, HU Berlin
1982: Diploma in Physics, Humboldt-University (HU) Berlin
- New source of MeV negative ion and neutral atom beams Review of Scientific Instruments 87 (2016) 02B134/1-4
- Efficient laser production of energetic neutral beams Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion 58 (2016) 034016/1-7
- Highly periodic laser-induced nanostructures on thin Ti and Cu foils for potential application in laser ion acceleration Journal of Applied Physics 119 (2016) 113101/1-7
- Relativistic laser nano-plasmonics for effective fast particle production Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion 58 (2015) 014038/1-10
- Coulomb driven energy boost of heavy ions for laser plasma acceleration Physical Review Letters 114 (2015) 124801/1-5
- Diagnostics of peak laser intensity based on the measurement of energy of electrons emitted from laser focal region Laser and Particle Beams 361-366 (2015) 1-6
- Tracing ultrafast dynamics of strong fields at plasma-vacuum interfaces with longitudinal proton probing Applied Physics Letters 105 (2014) 034101/1-6
- Prospects of ultrafast x-ray absorption investigations using laboratory based sources SPIE Proceedings Series 8849 (2013) 88490H/1-8
- Energetic beams of negative and neutral hydrogen from intense laser plasma interaction Applied Physics Letters 103 (2013) 253501/1-6
- Charge steering of laser plasma accelerated fast ions in a liquid spray—creation of MeV negative ion and neutral atom beams Physics of Plasmas 20 (2013) 113105/1-7